Thursday, March 13, 2008

Cooking

The kids are all getting interested in cooking. Going to the grocery store is one of my least favourite things to do. Basically there's an infinite number of things lying around that divide into 2 categories of foods (stuff you can add to oatmeal and call breakfast or stuff you can add to soup and call a casserole). As a result, I totally stopped reading recipes or buying ingredients because I had some recipe in mind. Needless to say, my kids didn't learn about cooking from me.

So they've discovered cookbooks and everything is a new, exciting experiment. I think they'll all get into the whole cooking as creative expression thing. The grocery bill is taking a hit but it's worth it. In the farming community I grew up in, women spent most of their waking hours in the kitchens. Not only do I know a lot more about food than the kids realized, I actually like the process when it's a togetherness thing rather than the measure of a woman's worth. My mom was a really good cook but there was so much more to her that wasn't valued as much, wasn't fully developed and needed to be recognized.

No comments: